We are proud to announce that Beaverbrooks is a verified ASSAY ASSURED JEWELLERY RETAILER
Assay Assured is an initiative launched by Edinburgh Assay Office. It exists as a means to enable quality online jewellery retailers to promote their good practice, and to protect online consumers from counterfeit and fake jewellery.
The Edinburgh Assay Office was established by Royal charter, and their primary role has always been to guarantee the purity of precious metals. They assay (check) and subsequently apply hallmarks to items of silver, gold, platinum and palladium in compliance with national and international regulations. They have provided this service, without interruption, for over 550 years.
All precious metal jewellery that we sell carries the legally required independent hallmark which verifies the precious metal content (unless the item is exempt by weight). By becoming an Assay Assured Jewellery Retailer, we have agreed to the Assay Assured code of conduct, which is a legally binding agreement guaranteeing that all the products we sell online are accurately described, accredited and genuine.
Code of Conduct
As an Assay Assured jewellery Retailer we have agreed to comply with this code of conduct.
This code refers to jewellery but applies equally to any other precious metal items that we offer for sale.
- The description of every item of jewellery offered for sale by the retailer will give clear, honest and accurate information regarding the item’s precious metal content including what metal(s) the item is made of and fineness.
- The retailer guarantees to purchasers that the precious metal content of items is as described on its website.
- Regarding items which are exempt from hallmarking by virtue of weight, the retailer will submit samples of its stock to Assay Assured on request for testing by Assay Assured to ensure accuracy of claimed metal content and fineness.
- The retailer will comply in all respects with the Hallmarking Act 1973 and all other applicable laws regarding sale of jewellery.
- The retailer will not offer for sale any branded item which it knows to be counterfeit, and will take reasonable care to ensure all branded items it offers for sale are genuine.
- If a customer asserts that an item bought from the retailer was not of the advertised metal content, the retailer will try in good faith to resolve the dispute with the customer and Assay Assured will, if requested by the retailer and at the retailer’s expense, test the item.
- If the retailer is unable to resolve the dispute, then either the customer or the retailer may ask Assay Assured to rule on whether or not the item was of the advertised metal content. Assay Assured will test the item and:
- If the item was not of the advertised metal content, the retailer will refund the customer the purchase price and delivery costs and will pay the costs of testing, or
- If the item was of the advertised metal content, it will be returned to the customer and Assay Assured will bear the cost of testing.
- This code is not intended to replace or limit the legal rights of purchasers. It does not have the force of law, and purchasers should look to their legal remedies if dissatisfied following attempts to seek redress under this code.